By Karen Morris
Are you one of the millions that are finding it hard to get to sleep, stay asleep and struggle through the day?
We’ve all had it really tough the last couple of years, and this year, in particular, everyone seems to be feeling it the most.
Utterly exhausted, nerves are frayed, feeling like you’re on high alert all the time… these are just some of the symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue due to Stress and Anxiety.
Adrenal fatigue is a common problem characterised by physical, mental, and emotional symptoms due to the adrenal glands being overworked from the stresses of modern life and unhealthy patterns.
Too long down this path can result in anxiety, depression, exhaustion, food cravings, and mood swings.
Can you relate?
What are the Adrenal Glands
The adrenals are two plum-sized, triangular-shaped glands at the top of each kidney. They are crucial to your health and well-being as they release the hormones (adrenalin and cortisol) that help your body deal with stress.
Otherwise known as the fight-flight-freeze response; when something threatens us, the adrenal glands activate the stress hormones, producing a reaction to help us deal with the situation.
Prolonged stress, together with lack of sleep and unhealthy food and lack of exercise, can lead to adrenal fatigue over time and affect your quality of life.
The good news is that you can treat it and manage it well with a few tweaks in your diet, lifestyle and the right herbs and supplements.
Seven steps to combat Adrenal Fatigue:
- Drink less caffeine. Coffee and caffeinated drinks may perk you up at the moment, but actually, wreak havoc with your nervous system. They keep you from falling asleep and you might always feel on edge. If you can’t completely stop, at least reduce your caffeine load to one cup in the very early morning, but we suggest stopping altogether for a few months and seeing what difference that makes to your body.
- Limit alcohol and sugar. Alcohol and sugar are also huge contributors to sugar spikes and make your system crash. Give your body and mind a chance to recover and see how going sugar-free for a while helps you.
- Get more exercise and sunshine. We all know the benefits of exercise and sunshine but are you getting enough? The more exercise you get, together with daylight hours, the easier it will be for your body clock to readjust and help you sleep better.
- Eat healthier foods. This is a no-brainer really. Your body is your temple and it’s the only one you have! Treat it wisely.
- Get your vitamin levels and hormones checked. You might be lacking in iron or have low thyroid issues. Once you get your levels checked, send us your results and book in for an appointment https://www.herbsonlineshop.com/product-category/shop/book-an-appointment
We’ll then help you go through your results and make a recovery plan to get your vitamin levels back up and stabilise your hormones.
- Use our Adrenal Stress formula, specifically designed to regenerate and support the health of adrenal glands. With daily use of this tonic, you are able to support your adrenal health which then provides you with energy, a better quality of sleep, fewer cravings and a feeling of calmness.
- Create a good sleep hygiene practice. We all need better sleep. Sleep is what helps us heal and regenerate. If you need extra support while you are healing your adrenals (and it can take time) you might want to stock up on our Sleep Forte herbal mixture. Sleep Fort is a blend of sedative herbs that help you get to sleep faster and stay asleep longer.
It can take time to fully restore your adrenal glands, especially if left untreated for a long time. However, we want you to know that with some lifestyle and dietary changes, you can get your energy and quality of life back and we are here to support you each step of the way.
Visit our website www.herbsonlineshop.com or call (02) 9555 5117 if you have any questions and let us help you, naturally.